Become a Better Radio Seller by Improving Your Skillset
August 25, 2022
Nowadays you can find several sales training courses that will show you the best ways to sell … to close business. I’ve been through many sales training courses and most of them have the same general theme. They talk about how to prospect, build a relationship, research the advertiser, put a proposal together, and close the business. But they are missing a big part of what makes you successful in sales.
What is it? What’s the secret sauce?
What makes you successful in Radio sales? It’s having a combination of skillsets that create a foundation for implementing all the sales training techniques you learn with consultants and sales trainers. Here is a list of my favorite things … or should I say skillsets.
- Organization – Use your favorite app so you can stay on top of all your sales activities, projects, and your personal life. Are you using a CRM system? Tip: only use ONE calendar so everything is in one place.
- Technology – Do you know how to effectively use web conferencing tools and productivity software? Are you using social media to connect with potential advertisers?
- Math – Know how to calculate your commission.
- Attention to detail – You don’t want to miss any details of the ad campaign for your client.
- Contract basics – Know the main details so you ensure that you are compliant with what your station is to provide and what is expected of the client.
- Communication – Verbal and written. As a society, we have become lazy in our grammar and sentence structure. Stand out by showing your polished professionalism.
- Basic advertising concepts – What are the benefits of different media? When do you need Reach versus Frequency? Long-term campaign or short-term?
- Scheduling concepts – What dayparts are the best to use that will achieve the client’s goals? Do you know how to build reach and frequency on your station with regard to spot placement? Vertical versus horizontal ad placement, as well as knowing what days should be used in the campaign.
- Negotiation – What are the best techniques to achieve a win-win outcome?
- Leadership – Are you developing your leadership skills if you are a manager or want to be one? What style works best for you and your team?
These are some skillsets to ponder and assess your current level. Then decide which ones you want or need to develop and go seek out training. There are several sources for free training. Once you register for a webinar, you will usually get on their list to find out about future webinars. Be a sponge and soak up as much as possible. Be on a road of continual learning … it will lead you to great success as a Radio seller.
We are here to help. Reach out to us here.
-Karen Morriss, Director of Client Services