Radio Remains Strong!
March 16, 2023
Streaming now represents 20% of AM/FM radio listening, according to Edison Research’s quarterly “Share of Ear” Q4 2022 study. Did you know this? Are you prepared with the facts to fight perceptions that Pandora and Spotify reach more people or garner a larger “share of ear”?
Edison’s Q4 2022 study is full of nuggets we can use to dispel myths and showcase radio’s strength. Here are some highlights from their recent study, as shared in Cumulus Media/Westwood One’s Audio Active Group® analysis report.
- Perception vs reality: Agencies and advertisers underestimate AM/FM radio shares and drastically overestimate Pandora and Spotify audiences.
- AM/FM radio’s Persons 18+ share of ad-supported audio (73%) is 15 times larger than Pandora (5%) and 18 times greater than Spotify (4%).
- 2022 versus 2017: AM/FM radio is dominant, AM/FM radio streaming grows to beat ad-supported Pandora/Spotify combined, and podcasts triple.
- In the car, AM/FM radio dominates ad-supported listening with an 88% share.
- Streaming soars to 20% of all Adult 25-54 AM/FM listening (driven by growth among men).
- AM/FM radio’s 25-54 streaming audiences are 44% larger than ad-supported Spotify and Pandora combined.
- 23% of the time spent on Spotify goes to podcasts.
As you can see, radio remains strong and continues to dominate audio listening. You can get the full Edison report here. It also contains updated information for podcasts. Pick the facts that best support your story and aligns with the advertiser’s goals and your station.
Need a little help? We are here to keep telling radio’s story and yours!
-Karen Morriss, Director of Client Services